jrfoodcritic

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hey everybody this past weekend I made my first seafood gumbo. It tasted great. I made my own roux to start the gumbo. My dad helped a bit by chopping. I also like listening to music while cooking. :) We passed it around to relatives. It got an A+! The recipe is below, try it one day.




Michael’s Kid-Friendly Gumbo (Mom & Dad can help prep)

½ cup flour
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup diced onions
¼ cup diced celery
2 Tbs minced garlic
¼ cup green onions
1 bay leaf
1qt seafood stock (box)
1 lb crab meat
1/2 lb shrimp (frozen)

Time – 1 hour
Serves - six

Mix flour and oil to make a “peanut butter” colored roux (remember to keep stirring so it doesn’t burn). In a separate pot, heat stock to a boil. Add onions, celery, and garlic cook for about 2 minutes to soften. Add stock one ladle at a time and continue stirring. After all of the stock is in, add bay leaf and seasoning to taste (I use salt, pepper and Tony Chachere’s). Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Add crab meat and shrimp then bring it to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. We usually get the frozen shrimp in a bag from Sam’s. Add green onion and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment